Monday, November 06, 2006

Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood

We had a sweeeet split-level loft in Brooklyn, but I couldn’t stand my next door neighbors on one side. That’s the thing about apartment living. You’re joined at the hip to all kinds of people against your will. I should have known these two would be trouble from the moment they knocked on our door to welcome us to the building. They came bearing gifts in the form of cut-up slices of cantaloupe.
Beware of people who are overeager. Healthy reserve is a good thing.
At the time I thought, “What a nice gesture. Awww…” Much later I saw its true ulterior motive: noseyness.
I wonder what our neighbors in Paris will be like.

1 comment:

MartiniCocoa said...

the cantaloupe part is making me laugh so hard. how nosey were they? And couldn't you have done anything to frighten them back into their cone of nuttiness?